The narrative of the average Nigerian youth is one hounded by unemployment or under-employment as a result of less job opportunities for the ever increasing youth population, as well as minimal access to opportunities or poor availability of developmental resources to boost socio-economic empowerment.
However, it is not all gloom and doom. With a population nearing 200million and the youth making up over 60% of that number, we are a nation with unlimited and untapped potential, largely due to poor short-sighted leadership and resource management. It is all about perspective.
Nigerian youth entrepreneurs can create job with the right support and increased access to funding. It is high time for Nigerian youths to seize their future and do it now with the right form of support from veterans and established personalities.
Hence, we are Geared Up!
OBJECTIVE: The objective and approach of the Geared Up! Initiative is to leverage the power and reach of media to drive awareness for youth owned businesses within our network of reach that have been reviewed to be ideal, with the aim of:
- Gaining investor interest and investment funding
- Accessing support funds to drive business / idea scaleup
- Access enterprise advancement support e.g sales facilitation, service boost etc.
- Facilitate strategic bootstrapping of these businesses or ideas to ensure growth and ability to internally generate needed funds for scale up.
- Prepare and expose them to available business support initiatives such as grants, competitions etc
PROJECT GOALS: As a roll-out, the Geared Up! Project hopes to achieve the following:
- Activate or access funding for 5+ viable businesses or ideas with clear capacity for sizeable job creation and revenue generation
- Attract positive attention for Nigerian youth entrepreneurial endeavors as well as existing challenges and opportunities
- Facilitate ideal collaborations and networking opportunities
PROJECT TEAM: Comprising of an advisory board and project team of individuals with track record in advancing youth capital development, the selected businesses / ideas for the project roll-out cuts across various industries and sectors such as agriculture, environmental / waste management, digital technology, education, hospitality, sports and tourism.
ROLL OUT START-UPS / IDEA:
- XTRAMILE FEEDS LTD: Industry / Sector: Aquaculture / Agriculture
- VIEW234 MEDIA: Industry / Sector: Media & Digital Technology
- iFIXNG: Industry/ Sector: Informal Skills Recruitment
- iPLAYFOOTBALL: Industry / Sector: Sports / Talent Management
- NV GLOBAL RECYCLE RESOURCES LTD. : Industry / Sector: Recycling and Construction
PROJECT ACHIEVEMENT: in line with our collaborative engagement with the selected brands the following success was recorded
- 3 of the listed startups won grant competitions to the combined tune of over N10,000,000
- A bootstrap strategy was developed to help the brands activate in phases and maintain traction
CONTINUITY: In line with our objective to selected whprogressively change the average Nigerian youth narrative, through the creation of a viable platform to attract the right investor interest or entrepreneurial support by employing media and digital tools, the project has been scaled up into a Digital Video Series – Hustle City Diaries to showcase the entrepreneurs, their ideas, their journey so far, potential and opportunity for investment.